Our mission is to joyfully share the gospel and prepare children, by nurturing their faith, for a lifetime of learning and service to Christ.
The purpose of St. James Lutheran Early Childhood program is to serve as a ministry of our congregation. We will partner with parents as they fulfill their role to nurture their child by providing a quality education for God’s children. We will work together to support all children as they grow spiritually, intellectually, physically, emotionally and socially.
- Spiritually – knowing, through faith, they are created in God’s image as His forgiven and redeemed children and growing in their faith as they learn about our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
- Intellectually – by understanding and learning about God’s world through play.
- Physically – learning to care for their bodies through regular exercise and proper nutrition.
- Socially – learning to live together as God’s children and being good stewards of His creation.
- Emotionally – growing in their knowledge and understanding of each person as a beloved child of God, made in His image and saved by His grace and mercy.
All children are a gift from God and are unique individuals created in His image. Our classrooms and teaching practices reflect our belief that Jesus Christ is at the center of all we say and do. A Christ-centered, developmentally appropriate environment for children to learn and grow is at the heart of our program.
An early childhood education must address the whole child by focusing on a student’s creative, physical, social/emotional, intellectual, and spiritual growth. We place value on creating an environment which recognizes each child’s varied abilities, interests, needs, and learning styles.
We believe young children learn best through hands-on, meaningful play which encourages curiosity, discovery, and problem solving. We offer a balance of guided, directed, and free- choice play for our students which allows for individual growth and positive self image. Our teachers encourage and support students to make choices and practice decision-making so they may succeed in a complex and ever-changing world as lifelong learners.
We recognize that parents are the child’s first teachers. Children learn best when parents are involved in the educational program. Our teachers foster loving relationships with each child and seek to partner with parents to enhance their child’s educational success.
Hours of Operation: 7:30-5:30
- Nursery (Infant Room)
- 6 weeks-15 months (Part-time and Full-time options available)
- Toddler Room:
- 15 months- 24 months (Part-time and Full-time options available)
Preschool Hours of Operation
St. James Lutheran Early Childhood operates on the St. James Lutheran School calendar. Half-Day and Full-day options are available.
- Half-Day Preschool:
- 7:30-7:55 drop off with our day starting at 8:00 am
- 12:15-12:30 pick up after lunch.
- Full-Day Preschool:
- 7:30-7:55 drop off with our day starting at 8:00 am
- Pick up anytime before 5:30pm – Children remaining after 5:30pm will be assessed a late charge.
- Includes rest time for restoring minds.
Preschool Classes Offered:
- Preschool 2’s Classroom–
- Children must be 2 years old, on or before August 1st
- Enrollment options include 2-5 days per week.
- Preschool 3’s Classroom-
- Children must be 3 years old, on or before August 1st, and potty trained.
- Enrollment options include 3-5 days per week.
- Pre-Kindergarten Classroom-
- Children must be 4 years old, on or before August 1st
- Enrollment options include 4-5 days per week.
Play Based Learning
We believe young children learn best through hands-on, meaningful play which encourages curiosity, discovery, and problem solving. We offer a balance of guided, directed, and free-choice play for our students which allows for individual growth and positive self-image. Our teachers encourage and support students to make choices and practice decision-making, so they may succeed in a complex and ever-changing world as lifelong learners.
Throughout their day, your child will be exposed to the following:
Zoo phonics – Our choice for learning letter recognition, learning letter sounds, and an introductory to beginning word sounds. This program is utilized throughout the whole preschool, with each age group having their own specific curriculum. The children will learn through songs, dances, and games. Parents may read about Zoo phonics at https://zoo-phonics.com/
One In Christ – Our choice for religion curriculum is One in Christ, published by Concordia Publishing House. These materials are used throughout our program, nursery through preK.
Daily Chapel – Our chapel services feature a daily message that follows along with the curriculum lesson for that week, we show our love for the Gospel through song and fellowship. By the end of their time with us, your child will have been exposed to and will have mastered the Apostle’s Creed, Lord’s Prayer, and the Common Doxology.
Weekly Library visits – Each week your child will have the opportunity to visit our school library and check out a book of their choosing.
Daily recess – We will go outdoors for recess on most days and will follow the state Weather Standards. A chart is posted in each room to help make the decision of where large motor play will be for the day. Parents may view this chart at https://www.in.gov/fssa/files/BCCchildcareweatherwatch.pdf. It is important that you dress your child for the appropriate weather conditions: coats/jackets, hats, mittens, rain boots.
Art and Music classes for Pre-kindergarten and Prekindergarten / Preschool 3 classes only at this time.
Mrs. Joan Tietz leads our art class and each lesson is based on the story of the week, exploring different art styles and mediums to cultivate a love for creativity.
Mrs. Goodspeed leads our music class and tailors her lessons specifically for early childhood. Our students grow in their appreciation and love for music and learn how music affects everyday life.
Explore Preschool for your Child
If you would like to learn more about how our preschool program can nurture your child, contact our admissions team. Email Morgan Kurtz, our Director of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 765-742-6464.